Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Peach Sangria and Other Summer Recipe Links

To my loyal followers (all three of you),
Despite evidence to the contrary, I have not deserted you. I know it seems like I abandoned my food blog for a newer, younger, more interesting travel blog - but truly, dear readers, I have not.

When I launched my travel blog, Together They Would Travel, I did so with every intention of writing the two simultaneously. I couldn't wait to start filling my blog with India inspired dishes. I had visions of myself shoulder to shoulder with a beautiful old Indian woman, in the aroma filled kitchen she's used to prepare meals for more decades than I've been alive, learning all of the magic of vegetarian Indian cuisine.  (She's beautiful because in my fantasies everything sparkles, and she has to be old  because we're going to have incredibly deep, meaningful conversations while she teaches me and she's going to impart lessons of food and family with a wisdom that only the truly elderly can obtain). Then I pictured myself rushing home to my apartment in Bangalore and furiously typing up everything I'd learned, in blog format, as much for your benefit as my own.

So why, you ask, has it been more than a month since I've posted a recipe? Well.  Not only have I not yet managed to get myself to India, but I haven't even had my own kitchen in over a month! We moved out of our apartment in Brooklyn on May 31st and I've been jumping from guest room to guest room ever since. 

However, during the two weeks I was hanging out in parents' beautiful new house, I was given permission to create nightly dinner menus, and provided with full access to their spectacular kitchen and the aid of  two super su chefs. More importantly, I was only a few short miles from WEGMANS!

We made SO many delicious meals:




The only recipe we made during my stay that I really altered in a significant way was a Peach Sangria recipe. I based it off of this recipe. 


Summertime Peach Sangria







  • 1 (750 milliliter) bottle dry white wine
  • 3/4 cup peach flavored schnapps
  • 6 tablespoons frozen lemonade concentrate, thawed
  • 1/4 cup white sugar (this can be reduced to make this drink less sweet)
  • 3/4 pound frozen peach slices
  • 3/4 cup fresh raspberries
  • 3/4 cup seedless green grapes, halved
  • 2 (ish) cups of a lemon-lime sparkling beverage ( I used the Wegman's brand diet 7up)


  1. In a large pitcher, combine dry white wine, schnapps, lemonade concentrate and sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add sliced peaches, raspberries and green grapes.
  2. Refrigerate sangria until well chilled, at least 2 hours, or overnight to blend flavors. 
  3. JUST before serving add sparkling beverage (start sparingly, and taste before you add the full 2 cups)
  4. Serve over ice, and use a slotted spoon to include sliced peaches and grapes with each serving.

Happy July 4th All! Hopefully next time you hear from me, I'll be signing off "Namaste".

No comments:

Post a Comment