Sunday, November 13, 2011

Roasted Cauliflower with Raisins & Toasted Pumpkin Seeds

I love my mom, but...

Her general distaste for all-things-green colored my view of vegetables brown. For 20 years. 

Sure, I ate salads with with shredded carrots and cucumbers - but that was about it. I was convinced that I wasn't a veggie person. This was very complicated because, as I've already explained, I'm really not a meat person either. I made a lot of pasta in the early years of my cooking adventures.

And then I met my husband.  More importantly (sorry dear) I met his mother. She says things like "we've had such a phenomenal Kale season, you should go get some from the back yard to bring home with you!" My husband and sister-in-law claim that the dandelion bouquets they picked for her as children, were made into side dishes for dinner.

My mom holds her nose when she opens a can of peas.

So-Good-Even-My-Mom-Might-Like-It.. 
Roasted Cauliflower with Raisins & Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
(Approximated from a dish I inhaled during a recent dining experience at Rucola

Ingredients:


  • 1 large head of cauliflower
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 cup golden raisins
  • 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (LIGHTLY toasted)
  • 2 tsp raw agave
  • salt and pepper to taste
Preparation:




  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


  • Cut cauliflower into bite-size pieces and arrange in one layer in a glass baking dish


  • Toss cauliflower with oil, and salt and pepper to taste
  • Place in oven, and roast for 45 minutes, tossing occasionally
  • Mix toasted pumpkin seeds, raisins and agave into roasted cauliflower
  • Return to oven, and roast an additional 20 minutes
  • Serve warm
  • Feed to children to encourage a healthy appreciation for vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment