Friday, March 30, 2012

BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers

Step Aside Tina Fey, There's a New Bossyboots in Town

If you ask my family, they'll tell you that I started bossing people around the day I came out of the womb.

I think that's probably true.

For my fifth birthday (and every other gift giving occasion for the next seven years) I asked to have my ears pierced. I received this book instead.*

                                          


The girl in the book ends up saving her stage coach companions from a bunch of robbers because she has the audacity to boss the thieves around when they're trying to take her things. I'm fairly certain the awesome pint sized  heroine only served to reinforce my behavior.

Good Parenting.

When I was a kid my older brother (who is four years my senior, and double my size) bore the brunt of my commands. How is that possible, you ask? Well, you see, my big bro loooooooooooooves me. This works out well, because I'm pretty much his #1 fan. But when I was little, I completely took advantage of his devotion to me, and he did, well, anything I told him to. This includes trying to take the rap for the many many things I did that ultimately landed me in the corner. My parents rarely fell for this, because A. he never actually did anything wrong and B. he's a TERRIBLE liar.

These days my agreeable husband is stuck with my bossy nature, but I haven't left my brother alone completely (what kind of sister would I be if I just stopped paying attention to him when I met a great man  to boss around...er... I mean.. share my life with...).

In recent years I've focused a lot of my attention on my brother's eating habits. The problem is, we have TOTALLY different tastes in food. Most of the time the things I make don't hold any appeal for. I'm on a constant mission to find recipes that meet my nutritional standards for his diet, and he's on a lifelong mission to learn how to say no to me. 

Only one of us is having any success. 

BBQ Cheddar Chickpea Burgers
(Adapted from this blog)


 Ingredients:
1/2 cup chopped red onion + more for topping
1/2 teaspoon olive oil + 1/2 tablespoon
1/2 cup broccoli
1 medium-sized peeled carrot, chopped
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup freshly grated low fat extra sharp cheddar cheese (lightly packed) + more for topping
2 heaping tablespoons smokey bbq sauce + more for topping
1 teaspoon honey
3 tablespoons whole wheat  flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
4 whole wheat buns

Directions

Heat a small skillet over low heat and add 1/2 teaspoon olive oil. Throw in onions with a pinch of salt, stir to coat, then let cook and caramelize for 5-6 minutes. This should happen fairly quickly since they are chopped small. Remove from heat and set aside.

In the bowl of your food processor, add broccoli and carrot, pulsing until chopped very finely. Add chickpeas, sauce, honey, flour, cheese, onions, salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder. Process and pulse until completely combined but not pureed.

Carefully remove from processor bowl and form into 4 burgers. If you feel that your burgers and somewhat delicate, refrigerate for about 30 minutes.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add remaining olive oil. Once hot, add burgers to the skillet and cook on each side until golden brown and crispy on the outsides, about 3-4 minutes. Be gentle when flipping and removing burgers so they don’t crack or fall apart. Serve on toasted buns with additional cheddar, red onion and sauce.

Those were not suggestions, they were orders. 

<3 Bossyboots 

* My brother would like me to add, that he was the one who got me both the book and, ultimately, my ear & nose piercings, against our parents' wishes. I have a little tear in my eye...  his email was so bossy.

No comments:

Post a Comment