Monday, November 7, 2011

Apple, Goat Cheese & Spinach Pizza with Toasted Pecans

Shh..Don't Tell Anyone This is Vegetarian...

Growing up, a typical family dinner at my house went a little like this:
Dad: "Nora, please eat the food on your plate".
Nora: "I did".
Dad: "Nora, I can SEE that there is still food on your plate".
Nora: "No there isn't".


I spent a huge portion of my childhood sitting in a corner because I wouldn't eat the meat filled meals my parents lovingly prepared. I'd like to tell you that this is a well thought-out ethical decision, a moral code that began early in life when I strongly identified with the cows at the nearby Mennonite diary farms. It would add a certain level of depth to my blog.


But the truth is, I've simply never really liked meat. I do eat it now and then, I try to sample local fare when I travel, and  I appreciate what good chicken stock can do for a recipe..but I just don't care for meat.


It's common knowledge that leading a well rounded vegetarian lifestyle is very healthy, but a lot of people are under the false impression that vegetarian cooking also has to TASTE healthy.


Apple, Goat Cheese & Spinach Pizza with Toasted Pecans
(Adapted from this recipe in Cooking Light Magazine)




Ingredients

  • 1 lb multi-grain pizza dough (plain is tasty as well, but less nutritious)
  • 2 thinly sliced Fuji apple (enough to cover your dough, leaving an edge for a crust) 
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) crumbled goat cheese
  • 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons honey
  • 3 big handfuls baby arugula or spinach
  • 3 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted

Preparation

  • Preheat oven to 450°
  • Place pizza crust on a pizza stone dusted with corn meal. A baking sheet coated with cooking spray will also work, but the crust's texture will be less fabulous.
  • Arrange apple slices evenly over pizza crust; top with cheese. Sprinkle thyme evenly over cheese.
  • Bake at 450° for 8-10 minutes or until cheese melts and begins to brown.
  • While the pizza is baking, combine oil and next 3 ingredients (through honey) in a medium bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add arugula/spinch; toss gently to coat.
  • Sprinkle pecans evenly over pizza; top with arugula mixture.
  • Stick your tongue out at the doubter who said you couldn't make a vegetarian entree that enduces moaning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment