Thursday, April 12, 2012

Smoked Salmon Fritatta


I'd Eat Cardboard If It Was Coated in Frank's Red Hot

My love affair with condiments started when I was little. I learned early on that I could make meat almost palatable if I drowned it in the savory, tangy goodness that is A1. My other favorite is hot sauce. We met at my Kosher Sleep-Away Camp. It was there that I discovered that if you use enough hot-sauce, you can gently singe your taste buds in such a way that even the mush they called camp food tasted juuuuuuuust fine. My camp friends and I loved this particular condiment so much that we made t-shirts honoring it, and cheers saluting it. (So much for not worshiping any idols...)

And that matzah kugel I told you about yesterday? Bland, doesn't even BEGIN to describe it.  But with a little Frank's? Juuuuuuust fine.

The frittata on the other hand? INCREDIBLE.

Smoked Salmon Frittata
(Adapted from this Barefoot Contessa Recipe)




Ingredients:
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 3/4 cup low fat milk
  • 1/4 cup low fat Greek yogurt
  • 4 ounces fresh goat cheese, such as Montrachet, crumbled
  • 4oz smoked salmon, chopped
  • 3 scallions, chopped, white and light green parts
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Saute the onion and butter in a 10-inch oven-proof omelet pan over medium-low heat until translucent, about 5-10 minutes.

In a large bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites. Add the milk, yogurt, goat cheese, smoked salmon, scallions, dill, salt, and pepper and combine. Pour the mixture over the onions and place the omelet pan in the center of the oven. Bake the frittata for about 50 minutes, until it puffs and a knife inserted in the middle comes out clean. Serve hot directly from the pan.

Return your condiment of choice to it's shelf, you won't need it.

2 comments: